Poison Prevention Week 3/19-3/25

posted: by: Staff Tags: "Clinic Specials" "News" 

Some household products, human foods, and plants can be potentially harmful to your furry friends!

It can be scary when your pet ingests something dangerous or unknown.  It is important to know what resources are available to help you protect your pet.

The ASPCA poison control hotline and website are your first lines of defense in a potentially dangerous situation.

If you are concerned you pet ingested something it shouldn’t have call the ASPCA poison control hotline as soon as possible.

1(888) 426-4435

This hotline is available 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

Things to have ready when calling:

·         Your pet’s age and weight

·         Product packaging if applicable (candy wrapper/rat bait box/name and sample of plant)

·         What time your pet ingested the product

·         How much of the product your pet ingested

·         Credit Card # (A $65 consultation fee will apply)

This 24 hour hotline will help you decide what steps you need to take to care for your pet. Some of these steps could include inducing vomiting or driving to your nearest veterinary hospital as soon as possible.  If you are directed to a vet hospital, be sure to write down the case number associated with your hotline call so that your vet can quickly communicate with the staff at the ASPCA poison control.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INDUCE VOMITING IN YOUR PET UNTIL DIRECTED TO DO SO BY A VETERINARY PROFESSIONAL OR THE ASPCA POISON CONTROL HOTLINE.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control